APS : Thursday, 19 May 2016
ALGIERS- Algeria and the United Kingdom share “almost the same approach” on the role that should be played by the Libyan Presidential Council,
said Thursday in Algiers Minister of Maghreb Affairs, African Union and Arab League Abdelkader Messahel.
“We share almost the same approach on the role that should be played by the Libyan Presidential Council, the sole representative of Libyan people,” Messahel told the press on the sidelines of the works of the 6th Algeria-UK Strategic Security Partnership.
The minister underlined the need to work for its strengthening in order to enable it effectively plays its role.
“Everyone shares some responsibility in this. We are members of the African Union, the Arab League and neighbouring countries (of Libya) and we can assist this government. The United Kingdom is a member of the European Union and the United Nations Security Council, so, it has also a role to play in assisting the new government,” said Messahel.
“This situation is a cause for concern and we are working together to bridge views,” he stressed.
The minister added that the situation in the Sahel was at the centre of the discussions with the British delegation, especially the issues relating to terrorism, organized crime and the terrorist group Boko Haram.
In this regard, he underlined the need to restore “stability in Mali and Libya because these situations are interconnected.”
Messahel said that the meeting was an opportunity to “exchange our views,” adding that the main focus was on the fight against terrorism.
- (English) Boukadoum reaffirms Algeria’s unconditional support to Palestinian people
- (English) President Tebboune congratulates Guterres for his re-election as UN Secretary General
- (English) Antalya Diplomacy Forum: Boukadoum takes part in two debates
- (Français) Forum économique algéro-libyen et Foire des produits algériens destinés au marché libyen: Cérémonie en l’honneur des organisateurs
- (English) Belhimer: Algeria attaches particular importance to media role in defense of Arab questions