APS : WEDNESDAY 22 NOVEMBER 2017
DAKAR (Senegal)- The Algerian Judo team snatched the third place at the African Dakar Open which ended Wednesday, in Senegal, with a total of two gold medals snatched by Wail Ezzine (-66 kg) and Amina Belkadi (-63 kg).
Assigned in group “C,” Ezzine was exempted from the first round and only needed one victory, against Argentina’s Nehuen Melita, in order to qualify for the semi-finals where he won against Congo’s Rodrick Kuku to go to the finals where he snatched the gold medal by beating Moroccan Abderrahmane Bouchita.
Belkadi was even luckier than her compatriot since she competed in a category of weight that only included four athletes, making her first fight equivalent to a semi-final.
The 25 year-old athlete, who continues to progress, took the first place of the under-63 kg category ahead of Senegal’s Ndeye Marie Ndao, Anna Siga Faye and Fatou Sarr, Faouzi Bloud told APS, adding that she won her two last fights by waza-ari and ippon.
This gold medal adds to the two bronze she won in Antananarivo (Madagascar) at the African championship (under 63 kg) in April 2017, and in Tunis at the African Championship (under 70 kg).
The Algerian Judo Federation only participated with two athletes in this African Dakar Open and they had a successful start snatching silver medals, each in their respective category.
The competition took place with the participation of 74 judokas (47 men, 27 women) representing 12 countries, namely: Algeria, Argentina, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Guinea Bissau, Cote d’Ivoire, Morocco, Nigeria, Slovenia, and the organizing country, Senegal.
The tournament was dominated by Argentina (5 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze) followed by the host country, Senegal (2 gold, 5 silver, and 10 bronze).
- President Tebboune receives Coordinator for Middle East, North Africa at US National Security Council
- (Français) Le président Tebboune reçoit les chefs des délégations au Colloque sur “le droit d’accès” à la “justice constitutionnelle”
- Algeria strongly condemns massacre perpetrated in DR Congo
- (Français) L’Algérie abrite la 9e conférence de haut niveau sur la paix et la sécurité en Afrique
- Algeria-Jordan: Need to expand bilateral cooperation