APS : Friday, 05 June 2020
NEW YORK (United Nations)- Algeria’s UN permanent representative, Sofiane Mimouni, has been elected chairman of the Committee on Conferences of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) for 2020.
The unanimous election of the Permanent Representative of Algeria comes following the decision of New York’s African Group to endorse the candidacy of Ambassador Mimouni for the post.
A subsidiary body of the General Assembly, the 21-member committee advises the UN General Assembly on all matters relating to the organization of United Nations conferences and meetings.
It is also responsible for deciding upon action to be taken on requests for departure from the schedule of approved conferences, which have administrative and financial implications.
The Algerian chairmanship of this important UN body comes in a particularly difficult context marked by the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19), which led to the cancellation or postponement of most meetings and events initially planned by the United Nations for 2020.
- President Tebboune awards Medal of National Merit to Italian counterpart
- Algeria-Italy: Convergence of views on all issues of common interest
- Algerian-Italian relations “strong,” “strategic”
- Algeria, Italy sign three agreements in various fields
- Algeria-Italy: Tebboune-Mattarella discussions, extended to delegations of both countries