APS : Sunday, 21 February 2016
ALGIERS- Minister of Maghreb Affairs, African Union and Arab League Abdelkader Messahel on Sunday has reiterated Algeria’s constant position for a just and lasting political solution to Western Sahara conflict.
Messahel, who received United Nations Secretary General’s Special Envoy for Western Sahara Christopher Ross, recalled “Algeria’s constant position for a just and lasting solution that provides for the self-determination of the Sahrawi people,” said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a statement.
Messahel has also reiterated Algeria’s support to the efforts of the UN Secretary General and his special envoy to relaunch the process for the political settlement of the Western Sahara conflict.
The minister also underlined the full responsibility of the UN in finding a final solution to the conflict in accordance with the international law and the UN doctrine on decolonization.
He also insisted on the “right of the people of Western Sahara to freely decide the future of their territory through a referendum on self-determination, in accordance with the UN related resolutions.”
Messahel also called on the UN to “take into consideration African Union’s position as well as that adopted by the European Union’s institutions on the issue.
Christopher Ross is on a visit to Algeria as part of the regular consultation for the resolution of the Western Sahara conflict.
- وزارة التكوين المهني تفتح مجال التكوين لفائدة أفراد الجالية الجزائرية المقيمة بالخارج
- Despite US veto, Algeria determined to make Palestine’s voice heard within Security Council
- Gaza ceasefire: Security Council fails to bring Algeria’s efforts to fruition
- Genocidal war on Gaza: Algeria bemoans UNSC’s failure to rise to calls, aspirations of peoples
- Minister Attaf receives Kazakh Deputy Foreign Minister