APS : Tuesday, 08 March 2016
BRUSSELS- European Union High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini reaffirmed the right of Sahrawi people to decide their future, adding that Western Sahara is a non-self-governing territory eligible for self-determination.
“Western Sahara is a non-self-governing territory. The fundamental principles applicable to non-self-governing territories are defined in the Article 73 of the United Nations Charter, which grants to these territories an unalienable right to self-determination,” wrote Mogherini in reply to Euro-deputy Miguel Viegas on the consequences of the cancellation of EU-Morocco agricultural agreement.
“The EU fully supports the efforts of the United Nations chief for a just, lasting and mutually acceptable political solution, providing for the self-determination of the people of Western Sahara, in accordance with the provisions of the UN Charter”, she said.
For his part, EU Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development Phil Hogan said that the appeal lodged by the EU Foreign Affairs Council following the cancellation of the agricultural agreement on 10 December 2014 by the EU Court of Justice “is non-suspensive.”
The products coming from Western Sahara and marketed as “Made in Morocco” can no longer enter the EU market in accordance with the decision of the EU Court of Justice.
The EU intends to present a new version of the agreement in accordance with the international law, said Hogan, stressing the need for consultation and consent of the Sahrawi people of any activity relating to the exploitation of their natural resources.
- Belhimer: Algeria attaches particular importance to media role in defense of Arab questions
- (Français) Boukadoum prend part à la réunion consultative des ministres arabes des AE
- (Français) Patrimoine : Toufik Hamoum reconduit à la tête du Conseil consultatif de l’Unesco
- Renewable energy: Algeria has Africa’s third largest installed capacity in 2020
- Setting up by 2035 of strategy to combat desertification