APS : Sunday, 12 June 2016
ALGIERS-The Acting Coordinator for Counterterrorism in the Bureau of Counterterrorism (CT) at the U.S. Department of State Justin Siberell hailed Sunday Algeria’s role in maintaining stability in the Sahel region and the fight against the scourge of terrorism.
“Algeria plays a leading role in the region and has always worked for stability” in this region, Siberell told the press after the 3rd Algeria-US meeting on security.
He also welcomed Algeria’s “leadership” in counterterrorism, recalling that it is a “founding member” of the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF).
As regards the works of the meeting, the US official stated that “very interesting and fruitful” talks took place between the US delegation and its Algerian counterpart led by Minister of Maghreb Affairs, the African Union and the Arab League Abdelkader Messahel.
He added both parties broached several issues, particularly the recent developments in the region and the “strong” cooperation between both countries.
“Partnership between Algeria and the US is very strong and we seek to further strengthen it in the future, like we did today through very interesting discussions,” Siberell stressed.
- Algeria “strongly” condemns terrorist attack in Burkina Faso
- Algeria steps up fight against illegal fishing, says FAO
- President Tebboune receives Head of Libyan Government of National Unity
- Libya’s al-Mangouche welcomes Algeria’s “unrelenting efforts” to protecting Libya’s sovereignty
- Algeria stands in “full” solidarity with Libyan people, asserts Boukadoum