APS : Sunday, 18 December 2016
ORAN (Algeria)- Minister of State, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Ramtane Lamamra said Sunday that nine UN peacekeeping and monitoring operations are conducted in Africa out of the 16 carried out worldwide.
“Of 16 UN peacekeeping and monitoring operations through the world, nine are conducted in Africa,” Lamamra told reporters on the sidelines of the second day of the 4th high-level seminar on peace and security in the continent.
The minister deemed it “necessary to intensify cooperation with the African Union institutions in this regard to restore peace and stability in the continent.”
For the Algerian FM, the main difference between the two organizations (UN and AU) consists in the mode and quality of those international missions.
“UN missions are aimed at deploying peacekeeping forces to preserve ceasefire and help the belligerents in implementing peace agreements, while AU missions are intended to help countries with limited resources,” Lamamra stressed
“The United National and Africa Union should have joint missions as Security Council’s responsibility is not limited to Africa.”
Cooperation between the two organizations “will strengthen the efforts meant to establish permanent peace, stability and reconciliation in Africa,” the minister added.
- (Français) RAMADAN MUBAREK
- (Français) Le ministre de l’Intérieur Ivan Demerdjiev a tenu une réunion de travail avec S.E. Mme Baya Bensmail, Ambassadeure d’Algérie en Bulgarie
- (العربية) الذكرى ال 61 ليوم النصر
- (Français) Les échanges commerciaux entre la Bulgarie et l’Algérie ont augmenté
- (Français) Le Conseil de la nation prend part au Portugal à l’Assemblée parlementaire de l’Union pour la Méditerranée