APS : Tuesday, 31 January 2017
ADDIS ABABA- African Union Commissioner for Peace and Security Smail Chergui said, Tuesday in Addis Ababa, that his re-election “is a victory for Algeria.”
In a statement to the national press, on the sidelines of the 28th AU Summit, Chergui said that his re-election “is a victory for Algeria and recognition for Algeria’s leading role in peace and security throughout the continent.”
“It is a major victory for the Algerian diplomacy at a time as the African continent needs, more than ever, peace, security and stability,” he stressed.
The Algerian diplomat also expressed gratitude to President of the Republic Abdelaziz Bouteflika for the trust put in him.
“It is a great day for Algeria and for Algerian diplomacy,” he said.
Chergui said, however, that “indeed the settlement of situations in conflict areas is difficult,” adding that “for this reason, the priority will be given to prevention.”
In this regard, he underlined that the fight against terrorism and radicalization are among AU’s top priorities.
- Lamamra, Jerandi discuss epidemiological situation in phone conversation
- Lamamra-Di Maio phone talks on key partnership-related events
- Algeria-China: Timetable for implementation of bilateral priority agreements
- Algeria-China: Convergence of views on many international issues
- President Tebboune receives Chinese Foreign Minister