APS : Wednesday, 26 April 2017
ALGIERS- Minister of Maghreb Affairs, African Union and Arab League Abdelkader Massahel on Wednesday underlined Libyan people’s desire for peace and security in their country without any foreign interference.
“There’s a desire among Libyans to achieve peace. We have noticed it both among ordinary citizens and political leaders,” said Messahel following his discussions with the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General for Libya and head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), Martin
“So, the solution must come from Libyans and our role is to support it and assist them in its implementation,” added Messahel, stressing the need not to interfere in their affairs.
The minister welcomed the return of UNSMIL to Tripoli, adding that his recent tour of some Libyan cities allowed him to notice that “life is normal” in all the cities he visited. “It is not the image often conveyed by some media,” he said.
“I spent a night in a hotel in Benghazi (east). There were young people in sportswear, who told us that they are players of the El-Ahly football team of Tripoli who came to play with a local team in Benghazi to mark the 70th anniversary of the creation of El Ahly of Benghazi. This is symbolic…,” said Messahel.
Kobler is on a visit to Algeria to continue consultation between Algeria and the United Nations on the Libyan crisis.
The two sides will examine the recent developments of the situation in Libya and the progress in the implementation of the Libyan political accord of 17 December 2015.
- (Français) Le Président Tebboune adresse un message écrit à l’Emir de l’Etat du Qatar
- (Français) Algérie-Italie : de nouveaux acquis dans le processus de renforcement des relations stratégiques
- (Français) Le Président Tebboune souligne la convergence des vues entre l’Algérie et l’Italie autour des questions régionales
- (Français) Giorgia Meloni: l’Algérie, partenaire important et fiable de l’Italie
- President Tebboune: Algeria intends to strengthen its strategic partnership with Italy