APS : SUNDAY 13 MAY 2018
ALGIERS- Foreign minister Abdelkader Messahel received Tuesday in the headquarters of the ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Algiers, UN Secretary-General’s special representative for Libya, Ghassan Salame.
Salame told reporters on the sidelines of the meeting that “Algeria has the legitimate right to be interested in the situation in Libya, considering the deep relations between the two countries and the long border they share.”
The UN official praised Algeria’s constant availability to support Libya to overcome the political stalemate.
Dubbing “important” the consultations he had with Messahel as part of his Libya’s mission, Salame said the Action Plan adopted by the United Nations in September, within the framework of the political process in Libya, is composed of several points.
The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) “works on all these points at the same time, including local elections, the improvement of the situation in municipalities, negotiations for a new Constitution, the holding of a relevant referendum and the preparation for credible elections.”
Messahel described the meeting with Salame as “cordial and fraternal,” stressing that they had a “long discussion on the situation in Libya.”
The two officials, according to Messahel, tackled “the coming stages in the implementation of the UN Security Council resolution as well as Ghassan Salame’s Action Plan.”
Algeria “has supported since the first day, and continues to do so, the huge work done by the UN Secretary-General’s special representative for Libya, within the framework of a political solution to the crisis allowing the Libyan people to decide on their own fate and future without any foreign interference in their internal affairs.”
- President Tebboune receives Coordinator for Middle East, North Africa at US National Security Council
- (Français) Le président Tebboune reçoit les chefs des délégations au Colloque sur “le droit d’accès” à la “justice constitutionnelle”
- Algeria strongly condemns massacre perpetrated in DR Congo
- (Français) L’Algérie abrite la 9e conférence de haut niveau sur la paix et la sécurité en Afrique
- Algeria-Jordan: Need to expand bilateral cooperation