APS : Tuesday, 27 February 2018
ALGIERS-Director General of the National Police (DGSN) and President of the African Union Mechanism for Police Cooperation (AFRIPOL) Major General Abdelghani Hamel on Monday advocated a strong operational partnership between this continental mechanism and Europol.
In a statement after his talks with Executive Director of Europol Rob Wainwright at the DGSN headquarters, Hamel said Europol’s official visit to Algiers was under security consultation on various issues, notably cross-border criminality, aimed at establishing a strong operational partnership between Afripol and Europol.
According to Hamel, talks focused on African and European issues.
For his part, Wainwright hoped both institutions engage in a strong collaboration and a deeper cooperation between Europol and Algeria on the one hand and with other African States on the other hand through AFRIPOL.
As for his talks with Major General Hamel, Wainright said they focused on the changes shaking up a dangerous world characterized by connections between terrorism, various criminality forms and illegal immigration.
These scourges affect Europe and Africa, including Algeria, and urge both institutions to strengthen the legal means of cooperation, said the Europol official.
After saying he was amazed by the Algerian Police’s level and modernization programme, Wainright stated that both parties discussed the exchange of expertise between Afripol and Europol.
Following a visit to the DGSN, the Europol delegation moved to the headquarters of Afripol where it listened to explanations on the institution’s operation and the modern means it uses.
- Benabderrahmane represents President Tebboune in 17th AU Extraordinary Summit on Industrialization
- Algeria vigorously condemns terrorist attack on Chad security forces
- Algeria partakes in 28th International Travel Show in Poland
- (Français) Réunion préparatoire du Sommet extraordinaire de l’UA sur l’industrialisation : Lamamra met en avant l’expérience de l’Algérie
- Holding of 7th session of political consultations between Algeria, Argentina