APS : Sunday, 12 June 2016
ALGIERS – Algeria and the United States of America underlined the “urgency” of return to peace and stability in Libya and Mali, said Sunday in Algiers Minister of Maghreb Affairs, African Union and Arab League Abdelkader Messahel.
“We are convinced that it is urgent that our region recovers stability and peace, notably in Libya and in Mali,” Messahel told the press following the 3rd session of Algerian-US Dialogue on Security.
“We think that the peace process underway in Libya must be completed and it is necessary to enable the national unity government to play its role,” he added.
Regarding the ongoing peace process in Mali, he expressed the hope to see this process “completed”.
He also said he had discussed the situation in Tunisia, Western Sahara and the Sahel region, with the US party
Messahel noted that the two countries have discussed “the risk the region is experiencing because of the alliance, often seen on the ground, between the terrorism and the organized crime.”
“We have shared analysis and we had extensive discussion about the experiences in the fight against terrorism,” he said, recalling the organization by Algeria of a meeting on de-radicalization and another on cybercrime and cyber-terrorism.
He also announced that Algeria will host in September a meeting on “democracy, as essential vehicle for radicalization”.
“We, with our American partner, exchanged views on international strategy against terrorism which is a global threat and requires a global response,” he said.
- (Français) Le Président Tebboune adresse un message écrit à l’Emir de l’Etat du Qatar
- (Français) Algérie-Italie : de nouveaux acquis dans le processus de renforcement des relations stratégiques
- (Français) Le Président Tebboune souligne la convergence des vues entre l’Algérie et l’Italie autour des questions régionales
- (Français) Giorgia Meloni: l’Algérie, partenaire important et fiable de l’Italie
- President Tebboune: Algeria intends to strengthen its strategic partnership with Italy