In collaboration with the Embassy of Algeria to Bulgaria, a ceremony took place at the Central Military Club in Sofia on June 17, 2015 to celebrate the centenary of Captain Vassil Valtchanov, who, as shipmaster of “Breza”, carried out a secret arms supply operation for the National Liberation Army back in May 1960.
Senior military officers, friends of Algeria and members of the diplomatic corps accredited to the Republic of Bulgaria took part in this celebration which coincides with the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the outbreak of the Algerian Liberation War in 1954.
A congratulatory message from His Excellency Abdelaziz Bouteflika, President of the Republic, to Captain Valtchanov was read out on this occasion by the Ambassador of Algeria to Bulgaria, in which the President of the Republic expressed to the Captain his and the Algerian people’s gratitude for the invaluable services rendered in favour of Algeria’s liberation from the colonial yoke.
Congratulatory messages were also addressed to Captain Valtchanov on the occasion of his centenary by Bulgarian Minister of Defence, the Chief of Defence of Bulgaria, and the President of the Bulgaria – Algeria Friendship Association.
Sofia, June 20, 2015
- (Français) Forum sur la contribution de la Femme Algérienne dans le développement de l’économie
- Commemorating National Migration Day
- Benabderrahmane receives Saudi Foreign Minister in Belgrade
- Algeria’s tree in Belgrade: Tribute to Algiers’ role in supporting NAM
- Serbian president highlights Algeria’s historical role in NAM’s creation