APS : Sunday, 04 December 2016
TLEMCEN (Algeria)- The life of Ahmed Ben Bella is an integral part of the history of Algeria and Africa, transcending national boundaries to become a source of inspiration for revolutionaries, Minister of Maghreb Affairs, African Union and Arab League Abdelkader Messahel said Sunday.
“The life of Ahmed Ben Bella is an integral part of the history of Algeria and Africa. (His reputation) transcended Algeria’s borders to become a source of inspiration for revolutionaries worldwide,” the minister said in an international conference entitled “Ahmed Ben Bella’s personality, a national and international dimension.”
Speaking about a man of Ben Bella’s calibre “is not easy,” Messahel said, adding that the man “deserves all the credit for his struggle and sacrifices for the liberation of his country and African nations.”
For Ben Bella, Algeria’s independence “was only one stage in Africa’s liberation process,” said Messahel, citing one of his speeches during the creation of the African Union (AU).
Ben Bella said in the speech “it is my duty to tell, on behalf of the Algerian people and 1.5 million of martyrs, that Africa Union’s charter will not be respected if it does not fully support the peoples who are fighting for their liberty.”
Messahel noted that “Ahmed Ben Bella was one of the founding fathers of the Organization of African Unity (OAU), for whom the liberation of Africa was a priority,” never hesitating to put the resources of the young Algerian state in the service of liberation movements.
- President de la République holds talks in New York with his Turkish counterpart
- President Tebboune calls for new world order ensuring equality, cooperation among nations
- President of the Republic highlights Algeria’s achievements
- Non-permanent membership in Security Council: President Tebboune emphasizes Algeria’s awareness of responsibility incumbent upon it
- President de la République holds talks in New York with his Iranian counterpart