APS : Monday, 14 March 2016
ALGIERS – Algeria will hold the rotating presidency of the “5+5 Defence” initiative during 2016,
in line with the Statement of Intent signed in Paris, in December 2004, by the Defence Ministers of the Ten member countries, as well as their joint declaration signed in Tunis in December 2015, said Monday a communiqué of National Defence Ministry (MDN).
“Algeria, member of 5+5 Defence initiative, will chair in 2016, the forum of multilateral cooperation on security questions in Mediterranean west shore,” the same source added.
“As part of this year action plan, our country will host in December 2016, the 12th meeting of Defence Ministers, the 8th meeting of Chiefs of Staff of the Armies in October 2016 and the 22nd and 23rd meetings of the Initiative Steering Committee in March and November 2016,” said the communiqué.
The Algerian presidency of the “5 + 5 Defence” Initiative begins with the holding in Algiers of the 22nd meeting of the Steering Committee on 15 and 16 March 2016, in a view to “identifying priority activities to be implemented under the 2016 Action Plan, establishing the cooperation program for the year 2017 and discussing the projects already launched as part of the initiative,” said the source.
This meeting includes “a presentation of a drilling of maritime surveillance SEABORDER-16, a virtual drilling on the use of air means during natural catastrophes.”
The survey of the research hub of the Euro-Maghreb Centre of Research and Strategic Studies will also be presented.
The “5+5 Defence” initiative brings together five countries of the Mediterranean southern shore (Algeria, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania and Tunisia) and five countries of the Mediterranean northern shore (France, Spain, Italy, Malta and Portugal).
- President Tebboune receives Coordinator for Middle East, North Africa at US National Security Council
- (Français) Le président Tebboune reçoit les chefs des délégations au Colloque sur “le droit d’accès” à la “justice constitutionnelle”
- Algeria strongly condemns massacre perpetrated in DR Congo
- (Français) L’Algérie abrite la 9e conférence de haut niveau sur la paix et la sécurité en Afrique
- Algeria-Jordan: Need to expand bilateral cooperation