APS : Wednesday, 20 January 2016
ALGIERS- EU Special Representative for the Sahel, Angel Losada Fernandez affirmed Wednesday in Algiers that Algeria is a “key” country for the restoration of peace in the Sahel.
“Algeria is a very key country in the peace process in the Sahel and in the Algiers process (for the peace and reconciliation in Mali),” he told the press after his audience with Minister of Maghreb Affairs, African Union and Arab League Abdelkader Messahel.
“I warmly thank Algeria for the initiatives it is taking, notably to relaunch the peace process in Mali, which is the fundamental equilibrium point in the whole Sahel region,” he added.
He said that he informed Messahel about “his opinions of the region,” noting that he “wanted to learn from Algeria the deep knowledge of the region, which is essential,” for him.
Losada Fernandez took part Monday in Algiers in the high-level consultative meeting of the members of the Monitoring Committee of the Agreement for Peace and Reconciliation in Mali.
- Lamamra received by Tunisian President, Kais Saied
- Chairman of Libya’s Presidential Council on official visit to Algeria Wednesday
- Hood: Algeria-US views on Libya crisis resolution convergent
- Biden administration seeks to cooperate with Algeria “on common goals,” says Hood
- President Tebboune receives phone call from Tunisian counterpart