APS : Thursday, 17 May 2018
PARIS- Algeria’s action for peace was highlighted Wednesday at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in Paris on the occasion of the celebration, for the first time,
of the International Day of Living Together in Peace, decreed last December by UN on Algeria’s initiative.
UNESCO’ Director General Audrey Azoulay broached in a short address, the efforts made by Algeria for peace, pointing out the speech of Foreign Minister Abdelkader Messahel, made on 26 April at UNESCO, who presented Algeria’s experience in terms of living together in peace.
She underlined that the living together “is not a utopia” but a “horizon of actions,” adding that we must work for the respect of differences and mutual understanding.
For her part, Algeria’s ambassador to France and Algeria’s permanent representative at UNESCO Abdelkader Mesdoua underlined that the celebration of this day takes place on the eve of the holy month of Ramadan.
He said that this day is celebrated, on 16 May of each year, thanks to the Algerian initiative in cooperation with the International Association of Sufi Alawiya (AISA), presented at the United Nations and which was adopted on 8 December 2017.
The ambassador said that the Algerian initiative is “a real challenge and a logical crowning of Algeria’s efforts in the destruction of barbaric terrorism in all its forms, in the fight against violent extremism and in its path for the implementation of the civil concord and national reconciliation, both works of President of the Republic Abdelaziz Bouteflika.”
In this regard, he said that terrorism, which combated by Algeria which was alone and without the support of the international community, targeted first of all the Algerian State and its institutions and then women, elite, State’s agents and basic infrastructures.”
- Minister ATTAF receives the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Mission in Libya
- Mr. Attaf received by President of the Republic of Sierra Leone in Equatorial Guinea
- Minister ATTAF holds talks with his counterpart from the Republic of Equatorial Guinea
- Mr. Attaf receives phone call from Tunisian, and Mauritanian counterparts and meets Libya’s FM in Equatorial Guinea
- Mr Attaf holds talks with his Congolese counterpart in Equatorial Guinea