APS : Tuesday, 13 December 2016
LONDRES (United Kingdom)- Partnership between Algeria and the United Kingdom is “exemplary” and relations between the two nations are diversifying through the opportunities offered to the two sides, Minister of Maghreb Affairs, African Union and Arab League Abdelkader Messahel said Monday in London.
In a statement to APS, on the sidelines of his discussions with Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Minister for the Middle East and Africa), Tobias Ellwood, Messahel stressed that the meeting was an opportunity to examine the bilateral relations, which are considered by both sides as exemplary.”
“Partnership between Algiers and London is becoming more and more dense and diversified,” he said.
The Algerian official added that cooperation is no longer limited to energy, as it was before, Messahel said, explaining that there are opportunities offered to the United Kingdom in Algeria, “such as food-processing industry, pharmaceutical manufacturing, agriculture, research and higher education.”
Messahel underlined that he also reviewed with the British official bilateral between the two countries since the last working visit Ellwood paid to Algiers, early October.
The two officials, according to Messahel, exchanged views on the crisis shaking North Africa and the Middle East, including Libya, the Sahel region and Syria.
In this respect, he greeted “UK’s permanent and constant position over Western Sahara issue,” noting that as a UN Security Council permanent member, “the United Kingdom has always stressed its commitment to the right of peoples to self-determination.”
Messahel is in London for the seventh session of Algeria-UK bilateral strategic dialogue, he jointly chaired with the British National Security Adviser Mark Lyall-Grant.
- (English) Boukadoum reaffirms Algeria’s unconditional support to Palestinian people
- (English) President Tebboune congratulates Guterres for his re-election as UN Secretary General
- (English) Antalya Diplomacy Forum: Boukadoum takes part in two debates
- (Français) Forum économique algéro-libyen et Foire des produits algériens destinés au marché libyen: Cérémonie en l’honneur des organisateurs
- (English) Belhimer: Algeria attaches particular importance to media role in defense of Arab questions